Thursday 23 April 2015

Day Seventeen


Rule 17
“The whole universe is contained within a single human being-you. Everything that you see around, including the things that you might not be fond of and even the people you despise or abhor, is present within you in varying degrees. Therefore, do not look for Sheitan (Evil) outside yourself either. The devil is not an extraordinary force that attacks from without. It is an ordinary voice within. If you set to know yourself fully, facing with honesty and hardness.”


When I read the rule for today this morning and started writing it out, it felt very heavy. At one point I even said it felt like a sign. Ominous. I was all too happy to go to yoga and breathe it out of my system. 

Four hours after reading the rule, I witnessed a hit and run. Luckily no one was seriously injured, but the driver not only tried to drive off after the collision, when he realized one tyre was useless he simply got out of the car, ditched it and ran. Physically ran away. He hadn't stopped to check if the other people were ok, or even to assess the damage. Let the car's owner deal with the aftermath. 

Evidently, his inner voice told him that running away would be the right thing to do. The way to save himself, and who cares about the two men on the motorbike whom he almost completely ran over. In his mind, he was justified. 

That thought has been troubling me the whole day, how easily we justify wrongdoings to ourselves. "I didn't have a choice" is the favorite justification for pretty much any wrong we do. I hope he is not allowed to drive again, and here the onus is on employers. You don't have to directly do something bad to be complicit - allowing something wrong to keep happening is just as bad. 

"...even the people you despise or abhor, is present within you in varying degrees."

Have you ever heard that when something irritates you in someone else, it's usually because it reminds you of traits you don't like in yourself? It's quite an eye opener. Now imagine when you hear someone else nag, or act selfish, or be unreasonable, or even lose their temper... when it makes your skin crawl, it's because YOU make your skin crawl. Not a pleasant thought, but a crucial one if we want to fix the problems within us and appreciate the beauty in others. 

It's not easy to look at yourself with clarity, to recognize the traits that make you want to b**ch slap yourself. After the day I've had, I don't know that I can, to be honest. But if I had to pick one that I've had hurled at me before, it would have to be "self-righteous". I admit I am, and the results aren't particularly nice. But hey, you know what, on a day like today, I figure I can take a break from the self-loathing on my self-righteousness, thank heaven no one was killed or badly injured in that accident, and know without a shadow of a doubt the guy who ran off will get his comeuppance. I believe in karma 100% because I've seen it happen too much. Pound for pound. So don't be fooled...hell can exist right here on earth for you if you keep sending out crap and letting the devil in you win. 

As Florence says, "Looking for heaven, found the devil in me."

“The whole universe is contained within a single human being-you."

On another note, today the chores at home were about to do me in, so I asked the girls if they would like to help me a bit. To my complete surprise, they both jumped at the opportunity. Who knew? I never give them a chance because I figure it's just quicker if I do it myself, but they were stellar. Happy faces for the girls today! If we give our children the chance, they'll surprise us wonderfully sometimes. They, too, have the whole universe within them. 

That is the thought I will try to close with for the night to try and feel less bleak about humanity, and here's hoping tomorrow's rule talks about chocolate brownies and cinnamon rolls. Now those are some signs I could really do with right about now...

No comments:

Post a Comment